Firearms Applicant Process
Follow the instructions listed below to obtain the following:
- An Initial Firearms Purchaser Identification Card
- A Permit to purchase a Handgun
- A Change of Address on Identification Card
- A Change of Sex on Identification Card
- A Change of Name on Identification Card
- An Electronic Firearms Purchaser Identification Card (for duplicate or lost Identification Card)
All of the firearms applications listed above are processed online through the Firearms Application and Registration System (FARS). The following information will be necessary in order to complete and submit your firearms application though the FARS link below:
The Woodstown Police Department ORI Number is NJ0171500. This ORI number is valid for Woodstown Borough residents ONLY. If you are not a Woodstown Borough resident, contact your local police department or state police barracks for the correct ORI number.
The unique “Service Code” required for firearms licensing is 2F164B.
Your Personal Information to include:
- Your Full legal name
- Your full Social Security Number
- Your Driver License Number (DL#)
- Your State Bureau of Investigation Number (SBI#) (if applicable)
- A valid email address for yourself as the applicant and for your listed references who will receive notification via their valid email address as listed.
**NOTE : Effective September 13, 2022, the required Course of Instruction in the lawful safe handling and storage of firearms is integrated into the application process for all INTIAL Firearms Purchaser Identification Cards.
Permit to Carry Application Process
This process applies to both initial & renewal applications.
Any person applying for a Permit to Carry and Handgun must do so in person.
The following information will be required at the time of application:
- Driver’s License and Birth Certificate OR Driver License and Naturalization Paperwork/Green Card.
- One (1) State of New Jersey Application For Permit To Carry A Handgun, form SP642. Must be double sided and notarized.
- Two (2) color passport size photographs.
- Consent for Mental Health Search, Form SP066.
- Proof of qualification with a certified firearms instructor along with firearms instructor proof of certification.
- Money Order in the amount of $50.00 payable to; “New Jersey State Police”.
- Check or money order in the amount of $150.00 made payable “Borough of Woodstown”.
** If any of the preceding is not complete or incorrect the application will be returned and you will have to re-apply.
** The required written firearms qualification, in accordance with N.J.A.C. 13:54-2.4(b), can be obtained at most firearm ranges throughout the state. A list is also available on via the New Jersey State Police website at https://nj.gov/njsp/firearms/shooting-ranges.shtml.
** All applicants (initial and renewal) for permit to carry a handgun must be fingerprinted. Instructions for finger printing will be provided at the time of application or you can visit www.identogo.com to schedule a fingerprint appointment.
** A New Jersey Permit to Carry is valid for two (2) years from time of approval.
Should you have any questions or problems, please contact the Woodstown Police Department at 856-769-1330.